This is a reader-submitted story.
I have had chronic daily headache (CDH) for _20___ years.of daily with 4 years in there when I could manage with meds, home and hospital care.
2. The first headache I remember is: a day after putting in tobacco in high temperatures. Worsened as evening went on.
3. After the headache started, it took ___6___ [weeks/months/years] to get a diagnosis.
4. My pain level is steady/fluctuates fluctuates with different meds
5. My typical pain level ranges from:3-4
6. In addition to pain, my symptoms include..aura nausea sensitivity to light and noise
7. Treatments I have tried include: long list of oral mess. List of injections. botox DHE Toradol benedryl thorazine Etc.
8. I take __3__ medications/supplements each day for prevention and ___3_ medications/supplements when the pain becomes unbearable
9. When the pain gets bad, I: use ice,injections and meditation. Wrapped in blanket in darkness.
10. The most frustrating part about having CDH is: feeling useless and all my spoons used up early in the day.
11. Because of CDH, I worry about: not being able to get my life back
12. When I tell someone I have CDH, the response is usually: did you take anything for your headache?
13. When I see how little research and information exists on CDH, I feel: no one cares
14. Having CDH has affected my work/school life by: keeping me at home, at Dr or hospital
15. Having CDH has affected by family life by: keeps me from being involved with gatherings and activities
16. The one word that best describes my experience with CDH is: debilitating
17. My best coping tools are: ice and meditation
18. I find comfort in: meditation and prayer
19. I get angry when people say:you don’t act or look sick!
20. I like it when people say: I’m praying for you
21. Something kind someone has done for me in relation to CDH is: CALL,send cards even flowers that lets me know they are thinking and praying for me
22. The best thing a doctor has ever said to me about CDH is: we will do our best to relieve your daily head pain. MHNI.
23. The hardest thing to accept about having CDH is: unable to enjoy life as I once did.
24. Having CDH has taught me:be grateful for low pain level days
25. The quotation, motto, mantra, or scripture that helps me cope with CDH is: Grant me, O God, grant me the strength to face each hour of this and every day. And when it seems that I cannot face even one hour, please fill me with the strength to face the next five minutes.
26. If I could go back to the early days of my diagnosis, I would tell myself: try to have a better outlook and not submit to deep depression.
27. The people who support me most are: a few close friends
28. The thing I most wish people understood about CDH is:
29. Migraine and Headache Awareness Month is important to me because hopefully with funding and research there will be a cure.
30. One more thing I’d like to say about living with CDH is: a life I would wish on none.
Reader-submitted stories solely represent the personal point of view, experience, and opinion of the author, not of The Daily Headache or Kerrie Smyres. Follow this link to learn how to share YOUR 30 Things about living with a headache disorder.