Weird Migraine Symptoms: Earache, Sensitive Teeth & Eye Irritation

For years I have complained to my primary care providers that I have frequent earaches, but my ears always look perfect. I tell dentists that a few teeth are extremely sensitive to heat, cold and sweets, though the pain is inexplicably intermittent. I often wonder if I have a torn contact because one eye feels like there’s a grain of sand lodged in it. Yet I can never find an identifiable cause for the pain in my ears, teeth or eyes. At least, I couldn’t until my migraines turned from constant to cyclical. Turns out I only have the aforementioned symptoms when I have a migraine. Of course, when I had a migraine all the time, I had these symptoms all the time. Now that the migraines come and go, so do the other pains.

None of these particular complaints show up on the long list of little-known migraine symptoms, though they’ve come up in my conversations with other migraineurs. The majority of the world equates migraine with headache, but there’s so much more going on in this neurological disorder. If I could trade, I’d keep the pain if it meant I could get rid of the fatigue and fuzzy-headedness. (Not that I have any say in how the migraines behave.)

I wonder what other migraine symptoms have yet to be recognized. What are your unusual migraine symptoms? Do any of them bother you more than the pain part of the migraine?

93 Responses to Weird Migraine Symptoms: Earache, Sensitive Teeth & Eye Irritation

1. Valerie says:

Sometimes I feel like my hearing is “underwater”. You can’t hear quite clearly because it is fuzzy. . .

Hard to explain, but that’s all I got. LoL

2. Clare W says:

Hi,
    When I was first diagnosed, it was with ear problems, they thought I had menieres disease. As I would get dizzy, bad vertigo attacks, alot of pain in my left ear and sinus. It took 3 years for my ENT surgeon to come to the conclusion that I am probably suffering from a baslar migraine. I get pain in the back of my neck to the left side, in my sinus and in my ears. Medications I am now on – pizotifen have almost put a stop to the light sensitivity and dizzy spells. But I also have a damaged right ear, which confused symptoms. Sound is a real problem, I get so sound sensative, clattering of pans, things like that, really hurt. I get an all over headache but its not as painful as the neck ache. I also get tinnitus, which is again part of the migraine.
    They think that migraine and some menieres might be one and the same. At the moment they have decided I definitely have migraines but think that some of the menieres medications might work by reducing blood flow during attacks to my inner ear! Its sooooooooooo complicated.
    I just want my life back, to be able to work again. :)

• Aunt G says:

Have you heard of Fibromuscular Dysplasia? You sound just like me and my symptoms. I have narrowed or beaded arteries and then had a dissection. You should look into it…I know this post was years ago so I hope you are well. The tinnitus that I had was actually a bruit caused by the torn artery.

• Aunt G,

Thanks for the information, I hadn’t heard of that. It sounds like a scary diagnosis and surgery, I hope it worked well for you. My issue is definitely migraine, but your comment might provide insight for someone else with similar symptoms.

• After 52 years with CMD (Chronic Migraine Disease), and being blessed with the “variety-pack”, never knowing what will hit, where it will attack me, how long it will last, or the intensity of the pain/numbness, etc., I always wondered about the “intermittent ear issues” – sometimes achiness, sometimes like you’re under water, and then there are the tinnitus episodes too. Always during or prior to a Migraine attack. But now I have a 166-lb “advance warning system” Newfoundland Service Dog, who handles Migraine, Stroke, Disorientation, Vertigo, Vision-loss and Paralysis attacks, handling me through the attack, and comforting me afterwords. I rescued her 4.5 years ago, and now she rescues me each and every day. Her names is “BUBBLES”, and she is my constant companion, my mentor, and my independence. I also suffer from DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease) and MD (Macular Degeneration – dry – in both eyes). She has never been trained formally – simply uses her canine instinct and her keen sense of smell – she can read my body and alert me. God bless our animal companions. Additionally, thanks for bringing this additional CMD “added cost option” the pile of occurrences it already comes fully equipped with. At 64 years young, me and my 8-year-old Newfie Service Dog – and my 4 cats, also from rescue situations – are a solid team. They comfort me, watch me like hawks, are always “there” for me as my mentors, and they each come fully equipped with that healing necessity: “unconditional love”. Take care, everyone. Val Frost and BUBBLES – and Dozer, Cuddles, HoneyBear and Nipper, in Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

3. Raven says:

Yes! I think I had an unnecessary root canal last year because of this phenomenon. The dentist couldn’t find a definite problem with the tooth, but it was bothering me most of the time. After that root canal the pain started up again with the tooth next door, and occasionally in other teeth as well…fortunately I happened to start a medication that controls my headaches pretty well (amitryptyline) and the tooth pain disappeared as well. Now I only have tooth pain when I miss meds!

4. marc says:

Could you be having sinus headahces (more consistent with those symptoms) in addition to migraine headaches?

5. Jamie says:

I have ear pain with my migraines, but it’s like they feel hot inside (not sure how else to explain it). It’s only with some of my migraines though, perhaps my more intense ones… haven’t quite figured that part out yet.

6. HealingWell says:

I hope you find relief soon!

7. kabra says:

I do believe there are other symptoms associated w/ migraines. Just before one hits mu vision sometimes is very, very crisp. I can count the leaves on a branch from miles away, it’s very annoying. I get hungry in a sense that I don’t know what I want to eat, nothing sounds appetizing but yet I am starving. Usually it ends up being something heavy in carbs. Other times I get a burst of energy – my house can be cleaned in minutes, laundry, grocery shopping all in a few hours, then I totally crash. Sometime I get really really sleepy, uncontrollably sleepy then it hits and it’s usually bad.

What really gets me is the neck and back pain. My shoulders feel like they have found a permament home in my ears,tense and hot. If I’m nauseous and vomiting on top of that… it’s a Category 5 migraine.

Migraines are complicated -it’s not just a headache

8. Lisa Kay says:

I get tremendous pressure in my left ear and my left sinus cavity stretching into my neck. During “migraine” sensitive times I’m very susceptible to motion sickness which make me think swelling in my ear canal is the trigger.

9. Bibi says:

Ear pain is one of the first symptoms I get, when a migraine hits.
    I also have hyperacousis = sound sensitivity. Drugs like Zomig can cause ear damage:-(
    The best relief from the sound sensitivity for me is a low salt/low histamine diet. This has helped tremendously together with an antihistamine, Sandomigrin as migraine prophylaxis.

10. Kathleen says:

When I get really BAD migraines, I get sweaty chills. I equate it to having a fever, I’m REALLY hot, I’m REALLY cold and sweating up a storm. I also know that my nausea will result in actual vomitting when I sneeze (weird huh?). The sneezing (as a result of a migraine) is my weirdest symptom. I have had mornings when I get up (because I have to) and I’m dragging more than usual, constantly yawning, and unable to concentrate as if I’d had NO sleep at all (even after a good 8 hr night). It took me a while to connect this “sleepiness” with the onset of a migraine. I know exactly what Valerie means by hearing as if underwater. I constantly ask people to repeat themselves when I have a migraine coming on. I think of that more as a sensory overload… everything is SO loud you can’t “hear”. I ran out of my regular migraine medicine yesterday and met with my doctor this morning for a substitute (she was unaware that midrin had been pulled from the market), I got prodrin… anyone have any experience with it? The ratings I’ve seen seem positive I hope it works for me!

11. Christina P says:

Hello, all.

Ear pressure and pain complaints are fairly common in migraine patients, and are often due to muscle spasms in the tiny muscles that affect the Eustachian tube, which normalizes pressure between the ear and the throat. The trigeminal nerve, which is important in transmitting migraine pain, has one motor function: the jaw. When this nerve is activated, it can tighten the muscles of the jaw, and that can affect the Eustachian tube.

Tooth pain and sensitivity can also occur in migraine. Did you know that there is a unique branch of the trigeminal nerve that goes to each and every tooth?

Sneezing, yawning, gooseflesh, and temperature imbalances are hypothalamic functions, and are known symptoms of migraine prodromes.

While these symptoms may not be known to primary physicians, they would not be surprising to headache specialists.

12. Beth says:

One of my onset symptoms is hearing as if I’m in a barrel or down in a hole. Everyone seems far away and I feel somewhat unbalanced. Sometimes my face seems to have weights pulling it down. During migraines, I often get pain deep in one or both ears, eye pain, neck pain, and sweats and chills (just like with a fever, although my temperature is usually around 97 at the time). The neck pain is frequently horrendous to the point of nausea. Whether or not I throw up, my whole body hurts. Throwing up exacerbates the back and neck pain.

13. MaryJo says:

Oh! Thank you! I had just googled “earache and sensitive teeth” to try to figure this out and now it makes perfect sense. I suffer from chronic daily migraine (usually a 2-3) but for the last 1.5 weeks it’s been around a 6-7 and I can’t seem to get it down. Now for the past 2 days I’ve had and earache and my teeth on that side of my head have been sensitive. I did not connect these new symptoms with the heightened migraine. I feel such relief! Thank you so much! I happen to have an appt with my headache specialist next week – hopefully the migraine pain will have subsided but I will definitely mention these new symptoms.

14. Veronica B. says:

Hi, I am sooo happy to find this site. I am at my wits end. I have been questioning whether or not I really do have migraines or something more serious. I have seen numerous doctors who have performed several tests and tried all of the traditional medications but because the tests show nothing and the meds don’t work for me, they end up dumping me and telling me that maybe there is another doctor out there who can better help me. I am in between doctors at the moment. I have daily pain that starts the minute I open my eyes in the morning. I used to be very active and work but I no longer am able to work and I spend a great deal of time in my house and in my bed. I get pain in my eyes very badly, along the right side of my head, across the back of my head and neck and more recently along the left side as well. I get dizzy spells and nausea, sensitivity to light, sound and smells. I get so sick that I can’t eat or drink anything. My doctor suggested that I try injections, which I did, but it turns out that they pretty much just moved the pain around so I stopped. I’m currently taking Meclizine, compazine, lidocaine,topamax, fioricet and oxycodone but not all of those work and since I need to find a new doctor I’m really afraid that no other doctor will prescribe me a narcotic and that seems to be the only thing that helps my eye pain. I’ve seen sooo many specialists and had sooo many tests done and they haven’t been able to find anything and they can’t seem to treat my pain effectively. I just want to live a normal life again. I don’t want this pain to run my life. I live in the Boston, MA area. If there is anyone who knows anything that can help me or have any suggestions, please reply and let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

• Natalie says:

I know this is an old post but I wondered if you had found any relief from your symptoms? I suffer with migraines related to the monthly cycle and have recently been diagnosed with migraine associated vertigo and chronic fatigue. I have hyperacusis tinnitus pulsatile tinnitus sensitivity to light and smell, palpitations, inability to regulate my temperatures, sore teeth and guns, burning sensations in my neck and brain and sensitivity to patterns colour and flourescent lighting. I am so miserable and really want to find something to relieve even just the light and sound sensitivity. It all came on after my son was born a year ago so I am sure hormones are playing a part

• Natalie, most medications that treat the migraine also help with the other symptoms. Triptans are the typical drug for aborting migraines. Imigran is a triptan that’s available over-the-counter in the UK, though you should consult with your doctor first to make sure it’s safe for you to take a triptan. They’re most effective as soon as a migraine starts. There are also many different migraine preventive meds (both prescription drugs and supplements), which are intended to keep migraine attacks from coming on. High doses of magnesium have been helpful for me. I’ve also found relief by using the NuvaRing (hormonal birth control) continuously to even out my hormones, thus preventing worse migraines around my period.

If you’re breastfeeding, you’ll be limited in the drugs you can take safely. The good news is that some women’s migraines reduce drastically once they stop breastfeeding.

There is a special tint for glasses that filters the wavelengths of light that cause the most pain response in people with migraine and can keep light from triggering migraines. You can learn more at http://www.theraspecs.com. (Disclosure: I’m the co-founder of TheraSpecs — the tint was so helpful for me that my husband and I started the company to make such glasses available to other people with migraine.)

Sorry if this message is scattered, I’m in a migraine right now myself. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

• Rhonda Crosswhite says:

Another comment to an old post… 20+ yrs ago I broke my neck and had a cervical fusion at c2-7. I had always had monthly migraine exacerbated by oral contraceptives as a young woman (I’m 57 now) and could count on a migraine 2 days after giving birth. That’s why I have 4 kids. After the MVA and fusion the headaches and vomiting did not cease EVER for 2 years. I got down to 97 lbs.Pain and nausea 24/7. My teeth hurt, my right ear felt like someone punched it with a closed fist, I shiver with cold,my face throbs, eyes don’t focus,and my coordination is so bad that I stumble or drop things.My husband left- said he didn’t sigh on for this. My daughter was afraid I would die while she was at school, other Moms didn’t want me to drive their kids to ball practice, and I was not allowed to accompany my youngest on school field trips. Life was miserable.I was suicidal if it would bring relief from pain. Narcotic pain meds were objectionable to me but I took them. Not to mention that Drs are hesitant to prescribe them. They used me as a Guinea pig for antidepressants saying that depression causes pain. Pain meds only helped if I could keep them down long enough to work though. This is the One thing I did and still do as a last ditch effort to get some relief: GET IN THE SHOWER. Use an inflatable pillow or pool float as a cushion. You will be there a while and need to get comfortable. No plastic shower cap as the water hitting it it too loud. I can lay a towel over the cap to dull the sound and keep water out of my ear but the water hitting my bare head is more soothing. If I can lay in the shower for a few hours and actually go to sleep, I usually get some relief. Keep the water not too hot or too cool. A big rain shower shower head is better than a hard pins and needle spray. If you have to add a designated water heater just for your shower do it. I have slept for 6 hours in the shower. Use 2 shower curtains if you have to so there are NO cold drafts touching you. If I take pain meds and nausea meds before I get in the shower, they will usually stay down. I fall asleep and after an hour or two I usually get some relief.make sure you don’t get chilled of bend over as you dry off.

• Joyce says:

Hi Veronica I know you haven’t been on this site in along time so I hope you see this I to have had the same exact as you almost the same exact meds but I was just told know, I have minere’s disease I had this uncontrollable thumping in my ear or maybe both can’t tell, the pain I have in my teeth, jaw they told me I had TMJ severe, I do suffer from migraine’s since 2008 or 09 when I was in an accident but didn’t know it was going to be like this, holy cow!! I just started getting all this pain in my ears, mainly my left this summer (2014) the ENT I went and seen told me to go on a no caffeine, no sodium, no smoking, and something else can’t remember, but let’s get real everything has some form of sodium, or caffeine in it I can’t just drink water yuck!! he told me that even Crystal light has caffeine in it WHAT!!!!! never heard of that, any way I hope your doing well and if any only has anything to add for me please do.

• Joyce, I was misdiagnosed with Meniere’s before I was diagnosed with migraine. The two can look quite similar. If the low-sodium diet isn’t helping, you might want to see a headache specialist. Migraine symptoms and pain locations can change over time. You certainly could have both, but knowing for sure could get you better treatment and more relief.

• Help says:

Betacap worked for me

• Ellen H. says:

Veronica suggest you see specialist for all body parts and see a glaucoma doc. Panick attacks can make feel like everything is wrong. I take xanax. Dont be afraid to get a full body ultra sound and cat scans where it hurts. Good luck!

15. kquig says:

Yes I get the tooth thing as well..just wish I could pul them out. I agree with Christina P..It is the trigeminal nerve..which is also close to the ear and another reason for problems with vertigo as well. My most unusual symptom is that my arms do not look like they are mine. It’s like someone else reached for the glass or whatever..takes me a sec to realize it’s mine- then I know migraine in it’s way. Never met anyone else with this symptom.

• rosalind klein says:

Two of us in my office at work get the “funny arms” peripheral vision thing. Also, a few days before a migraine I have a really sore patch on my scalp, and I am really susceptible to static electricity (try going through a supermarket like this…EVERY metal fixture will zap you). Have had just about every symptom listed here except vomiting. Tunnel vision and garbled speech were the worst. My students know that the best time to ask for a favour is when I have a migraine! (Yes, dear; anything you like, dear)

16. Chet says:

Kerrie, thanks for talking about this, most people tend to hide and keep the pain to themselves. We need to talk and educate ourselves.

I have lost all of my hearing due to migraines. I am 40 now and was only diagnosed as having migraines 5 years ago. since then I have made great progress from having a migraine that last many month to having only 1 or 2 a week. unfortunately I started treating my migraines too late for my hearing (some hearing has returned but not enough to understand speech). I found a lot of benefit from the book “Heal your Headaches” by David Buchholz MD. He does a great job of defining what a migraine is (and is not) and gives a good strategy to address the migraines. This book only got me started, the rest was really up to me.

I found my primary number 1 trigger was artificial sweeteners. My number 2 trigger is HFCS or High Fructose Corn Syrup. After a little internet research, I was stunned to find what HFCS is and how it behaves in the body. If I had only known then what I know now I might be able to recall things that happened to me when I was growing up. An interesting note, I often have “painless” migraines. Meaning I have some of the symptoms of a migraine without the headache pain.
    Signs I may be having a Migraine:

1 – one eye is “off”
    2 – forgetting things I just talked about
    3 – unable to remember people names or simple labels
    4 – swapping names (calling a banana “apple” and apple “banana”)
    5 – vertigo
    6 – sleeping too much
    7 – indecision
    8 – blurry vision (sometimes I can see better without my glasses)
    9 – hearing loss (I have a Cochlear Implant now so this is no longer a symptom)

There are more, but what I listed is the most consistent for me. My goal right now??? A FULL 10 DAYS without a migraine. I’ve gotten up to 5 days so far. sigh. Wish me luck! :)

17. Melissa says:

My early warning that a migraine is coming is a sharp pain in my ear–very much like i have had a ice pick stuck into my ear canal. For years I took unnecessary antibiotics because my doctors thought I must have an ear infection and a sinus infection if my head an ear hurt as bad as I was telling them. Then a lovely nurse practioner recognized that i was having a migraine, and sent me to get the correct treatment. I still get the earache, but I know what to do now when it comes.

You’re fortunate to have a nurse practitioner who recognized what’s going on. It seems to be a difficult connection to make. I’m glad you were able to get effective treatment.

18. Mauricio says:

Hi all, my story may be a bit different to all yours. Making it short, about four years ago my symptoms got so intense and often that my life was true hell. I saw all sort of specialists, including a neurologist who saw me last and diagnosed me migraine. At first I was happy because it was the first time tdat someone had an explanation for my symptoms. However, none of his treatments did not really work. I then decided to look at alternative explanations. After reading a thousand website articles I realised that my symptoms could be related to mercury intoxication and/or oral Galvanism due to mercury amalgams and dental fixtures with various metals. I’m not so sure now whether I had been intoxicated with mercury after so many years of having those dental amalgams, anyway this theory is very difficult to prove as it is something impossible to measure. However, I DID suffer from oral Galvanism. Dental fixtures with various metals in my jaw’s left side

19. Mauricio says:

Contd… Dental fixtures with various metals in my jaw’s left side induced tiny electric currents in my mouth that affected my trigeminal nerve and created havoc in the left side of my face. In simple terms, the current in the mouth tissues should be up to 20 milivolts and the ones I used to measure where 300 to 400!!! After I had all metals removed from my mouth, nearly immediate most of those symptoms (intense anxiety, neck stiffness, eye pain, etc, etc, etc) disappeared. I still feel some symptoms now after 4 years of my “live saving” dental treatment but they are not 5% of what they were before. I nearly forgot to say something very important, what caused my symptoms to go through the roof was an MRI scan that seems to have “charged” my teeth with its powerful electromagnetic field. Thanks for reading, and I hope that my story helps some of you

20. carla says:

I also suffer from migraines and chronic neck n back pain. I also get ear pain with my headaches …I hope soon there will be some way we can get relief from these headaches. They take so much of your life away when you get them so often..good luck and any suggestions will be appreciated :)

21. Karla says:

I have often gotten SEVERE pain before,during,& after a migraine in my left ear (regardless of which
    side of my head the pai shows up in). All manner of doctors ha be examined this ear &”believe it’s all in my head”.

22. aany says:

i m suffering from migrain since 3+ Years,but it was not regular.i got migrain pain,when i used to travel long.but since 15 days,i m suffering from bad migrain pain daily.it starts from left head(back side of the head),and comes through half head and ear…it makes me life miserable,i am not able to concentrate on my work,it disturbs my daily routine.i took so many medicines,but they work for only 1-2 hrs. can smbdy suggest me what to do next….please help me

23. aany says:

I used to feel,chronic pain in my half head,most of the times it transfer also,from left to right,bt i used to feel in my left head,most of the times….

24. a g gordon says:

After many years of thinking about it, I (and Clare W?) have finally concluded that Meniere’s Disease and migraine are variants of the same disorder. The comments on this site are extremely helpful, since although I am in an excellent academic psychiatric and neurological library, textbooks and journal articles on headache omit all such useful data. I have proposed a syndrome of Meniere Spectrum Disorder, which is very common and encompasses Meniere’s Disease, migraine and many other mysterious pseudo-neurological and pseudo-psychiatric conditions. It is basically a hypersensitive state of the inner ear, the clinical manifestation of endolymphatic hydrops. All the important features of MSD appear in the above posts, ie
    * Feeling of pressure/blockage in ear(s).
    * Ear ache/pain.
    * Muffled, fuzzy, echoic hearing.
    * Deafness, often fluctuant, sometimes severe.
    * Vertigo, dizziness.
    * Imbalance.
    * Depersonalisation.
    * Brain fog.
    * Motion sickness.
    * Tinnitus.
    * Audiosensitivity.
    * Nausea, vomiting.
    The vestibular system has a strong influence on the visual system, and is probaly responsible for generating the aurae of migraine.

25. Mary Young says:

I found this very useful. I too have sensitive teeth before a migraine attack. Very annoying. Many thanks for your site.

26. Karen says:

I found this site since I’ve been suffering with the same. I wonder if you’ve considered clenching/grinding of your teeth as a possible cause/additional issue? I’ve got a guard since I clench and grind at night which causes me to wake up with a massive headache that feels like it starts in my neck and moves to my eyes. I have a stiff neck, piercing earache and as you mention, very sensitive teeth. I’d definitely recommend a trip to the dentist since grinding when tense is very common and if you have a tension induced migraine then grinding is a likely additional issue.

27. Pat says:

For me the onset of migraines usually start with the back of my neck becoming very sore (sometimes down into the back of my left shoulder). Usually this happens the day before I get the migraine. The pain then moves up through the back of my head and settles in the for the long haul in my right eye and temple area. Recently I’ve noticed that my bottom teeth and jaw ache. Never associated this with migraines before but after reading this I believe it is likely related. My migraines usually last for two to three days at a time, once or twice a month. Typical symptoms, sensitivity to light, sound, nauseau, exhaustion. Triptans (Axert) used to work although it took a couple of excruciating hours to take effect but would only last for about six hours and then the migraine would return. You’re not supposed to take more than one every 12 hours (broke that rule) so sometimes I would suffer while waiting this out. Lately Axert doesn’t work for the first pill and then finally after taking a second pill I get relief. Wondering what medications work for people.

28. Carolyn says:

Oh my gosh Kerrie, your symptoms sound just like mine! I was just diagnosed with migraines (after seeing Dr after Dr). Chet, I have been losing my hearing for 20 years (unexplained) and wonder if I too have had undiagnosed migraines all these years. How do you treat your migraines? Tried Imitrex but no luck and Amitriptyline made me too tired. Has anyone had success with Zomig? Currently going through physical therapy for neck. I’ve had this migraine for 3 months now. Right eye blurry, right ear feels hot and aches and annoying hissing noise plus I cant hear out of it very well. Also upper right teeth ache. Cant stand the lightheadedness and foggy feeling. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Kerrie says:

Getting the right diagnosis, as it sounds like you now have, is the first step. There are many possible treatments, both preventive and abortive. I recommend seeing a headache specialist to seek further treatment.

Namenda, a prescription medication used off-label to treat migraine, has reduced my fogginess a lot.

-Kerrie

29. Carolyn says:

Thanks Kerrie. I’m trying to find a good headache specialist here in Utah. My neurologist put me on Imitrex to stop the migraines and Amitryptiline to prevent them. Didn’t notice much help with Imitrex and it gave me major muscle pains and weakness next day and the Ami made me too sleepy. Did your symptoms completely resolve with your medication?

• Kerrie says:

No, my symptoms haven’t resolved completely, but the Namenda helps. Try Googling “headache specialist utah” (without quotes) — quite a few options come up.

30. Carrie says:

I’ve been suffering from migraines since I was 15 years old. Sadly, my symptoms are much like those of a stroke. My neurologist told me the only difference between my symptoms and those of a stroke is that with a stroke, your blood pressure rises.
    Recently, my boyfriend had to call 911 because it was so severe, I was convinced it was a stroke this time.
    Symptoms are:
    -Vision loss, and seeing spots in my vision
    -Numbness in one side of face, nose, lips, mouth, tongue, and down one side of body and hand.
    -Confusion. Sometimes can’t say my own name.

I do not get all symptoms at once. Usually starts with vision loss. Then vision will come back and hand gets numb, then hand gets better and face will get numb, etc. Normally I can take 3 Advil when symptoms start and in about 30 minutes I’m fine, except very tired.
    Recently, it lasted almost all day. I couldn’t even move my body. Paramedics had remove me from my bed and take me in the ambulance to the hospital.

I have found two major triggers: Peanuts and hormones. I cannot take Birth Control pills, etc. If I eat peanuts or anything that came in contact, I will have a migraine the next day.

• Lauren says:

That is EXACTLY what I experience! Boyfriend had to take me to the emergency room to, as he was convinced I was having a stroke. So incredibly scary. I’ve found that my triggers are low blood sugar and not getting enough sleep. It’s actually happened at work before, and I lose a good part of my vision for about thirty minutes. I can time it and know when it will be over, so that’s helpful, but the whole thing is still very disturbing. I often tell people that I can live with the pain (which doesn’t come until after the 30 minutes is over, if it comes at all), the thing I cannot handle is the stroke-like symptoms. Very encouraging though to see someone with the same symptoms as me – people usually think I’m crazy or lying!

31. Carrie says:

I would like to add that I very rarely have any actual pain in my head with these symptoms. It is not until all these symptoms subside that I actually feel any pain. And when there is pain, it’s on one side of my head, and always the opposite side of where the numbness was.

32. Ugh! says:

I googled migraine with tooth pain. Thought it was just me but comforting to know I wasn’t going crazy. I’ve had migraine with aura off and on since 16 years old (many moons ago). They’ve flared up recently. I had the visual aura really bad this past weekend. Usually it fades slowly but this time it ended – suddenly. No headache (but I did load up on Excedrin). So off to the gym as planned BUT when I went to brush my teeth, I couldn’t. My teeth were EXTREMELY sensitive all over. Never experienced this before.

@kquig & your comment: “My most unusual symptom is that my arms do not look like they are mine. It’s like someone else reached for the glass or whatever..takes me a sec to realize it’s mine- then I know migraine in it’s way. Never met anyone else with this”. The arm thing or an extremely heightened sense of smell is my “clue”. Yeah, that arm just moved but it’s not mine. Wierd.

33. Solveig Lindstrom says:

I suspect that food intolerances may be a factor. Along with all the other possible factors listed on this site.It’s A PAIN,isn’t it?

34. Mary Young says:

Regarding sensitive teeth prior to migraine. I too have this phenomena. I’ve had a thorough dental check and seemingly nothing wrong. Most annoying.

35. Ruth P-H says:

I get earache deep in my ears when I have a migraine. I also thought it was just me – it has been great to read everyone’s comments here.

My ears also hurt/feel heavy if I drink more than the tiniest amount of alcohol – does anyone else get this?

36. Lora S. says:

I have also experienced the following symptoms in the past couple years with my headaches: ear ache/fullness, head pressure, brain fog, fatigue, nausea, anxiety, etc. and have seen many doctors/specialists who found nothing. I thought the problem was solved once my GP noticed that I had low thyroid and corrected it with thyroid hormone since the symptoms went away for a while (and maybe it was). However, I just recently developed a painful tooth infection at which time all of the previously mentioned symptoms returned. The infection happened to be located at the tip of the root of a tooth that I had a root canal done 10 years ago. All of this left me wondering if the symptoms were previously caused by an infection in the root canal area which I couldn’t feel at the time since all of the nerves were extraced with the root canal. Maybe this is a crazy theory (and I am definitely no dentist or doctor unless you count Dr. Google) but does anyone else having tooth related migraines have previous root canals on the same side as the pain?

37. Patty says:

I have had migraines for 57yres. The “usual” extreme pain leading to vomiting and sleep. Lately I have beem experiencing dizziness, and the feeling of blacking out with more neck pain. I’m glad that I found this site. It has helped to confirm my thoughts that these symptoms are migraine related. Does anyone know if they can be broughjt on by high blood pressdure meds? Also, a friend of mine with long term debilitating migraines quit eating gluten. She is now headache free.

38. Lora S. says:

Patty – I too have been gluten free since January 1st of this year (I was trying to fix a different problem initially) and have not had a migraine yet! That would be fantastic if that is all it took because this diet is easy. **fingers crossed**

39. Dawn says:

I just feel plain weird. I don’t usually get a migraine but have been diagnosed with chronic migraine syndrome because of all of the other wacky things. My eyes will feel strained, almost like they are constricting. I also feel foggy, tired most days, and have a burning type of headache most of the time. I’m taking namenda for the chronic migraine syndrome but it doesn’t take away all of the symptoms.

40. Ashley says:

I’m 25 years old and have only had 3 migraines ever (that I have recognized) my very first migraine I recognized right away and was sent home from school.. with that one it was with aura and I had neck pain and stiffness (which made my mom think meningitis but I had no fever.) The second one (December 2011… About 9 years after the first one.. and 2 kids later lol) I had a throbbing in the right side of my head, sensitivity to sound (which was awful bc I am a stay at home mom of a 1 and 3 year old) also had what I can only explain as electrical pulses in my head which with every pulse, I would get flickering of light. I would also get a burning or tingling in my sinuses. It took me 4 days to come to the conclusion it was a migraine. My 3rd (current) migraine I only recognized today which is day 3. I started out with what I thought was a sinus headache. First symptom was my eyes were burning and watering. Constant loud noise didn’t bother me but (was currently at a military function which the most senior officer used a gavel.. weird I know.. every time the gavel sounded I felt like my head would explode. I was downing water all day then turned to coffee… Neither worked. Day 2 same symptoms, today I am in pretty awful pain. Pain and pressure on the right side of my face and head. Tingling/burning in my right sinuses and pain/throbbing and sensitivity in my upper right teeth. And yeah, took me til today to figure out it was a migraine. I haven’t had many and the ones I’ve had are so infrequent I can never self-diagnose them early.

On a side note. I had my kids 22 months apart and nursed to I only started menstrating late last year (after nearly 4 years of menstrual peace and quiet) my last 2 migraines seemed to happen before I start menstrating so I think they’re hormone related. Unfortunately, I’m not regular so I don’t know when I’m going to start (logging it on my WomanLog app to figure out a pattern)

My migraines seem to affect the right side.. never (so far) the left. Is there a reason for this?

That definitely sounds like migraine to me, though I’d check with a doctor to be sure. Migraines are typically only on one side, though some people have them on both.

There are highly effective abortive medications that your doctor can prescribe for you. Best of luck!

41. Debra says:

I have a friend who has very weird vise like pain on the right side of her head, and severe muscle spasms in her neck. They leave her feeling exhausted.
    They can happen over and over again.
    Nothing was picked up on the cat scan even while she was having one happen.
    She is sensitive to light and sound.
    The Doctors are puzzled.
    Doe any of you have similar symptoms?

42. baal says:

@#15 kquig

I’ve had migraines since my teen years (i’m male) and have the mild dissociation where my hands do things and go, “oh that’s me”.

43. Elljay says:

Hi all,
    I have had problems since my twenties, my sister, mom, and grandmother suffer as well. But, I suffer primarily from symptoms, not an actual debilitating headache. I have only had a few of those. The neck pain and fatigue are so irritating, and the feeling like you cannot think straight doesn’t help either. Also, there are certain foods that trigger my sinuses to completely fill, burn, and cause me to sneeze all day long. Fresh bread, chocolate, and aspartame are the top 3.
    If asked which is the most prominent, I would have to say the sneezing. Anyone else have this same problem?

44. Megan says:

Hello,
    My strange migraine symptom is that after my visual aura subsides I get numbness in my left hand. Then the numbness recedes there as it travels up my left arm and to my face and tongue. As it recedes from my face, it travels down my right arm and to my right hand. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

*******
    That’s definitely a possible symptom. Depending on your other symptoms, it could be an indication of hemiplegic migraine (http://migraine.com/migraine-types/hemiplegic-migraine/). I recommend seeing your doctor just to make sure they are aware of your symptoms and can rule out other causes.

45. Melody says:

Thank you so much for this site! I have experienced so many of these symptoms – pain, ear pressure/warmth/burning, facial pain, neck stiffness/pain, tinnitus, nausea, fuzzy thinking, headache on one side, etc.

Another symptom I notice is tightness in my hands and joints, along with the neck pain. Often, my thumbs will repeatedly get stiff and then pop when I bend them at the joint, as if the joints are repeatedly and quickly filling up with fluid.

I won’t list all of my symptoms, since most are already listed above, but I usually get my symptoms within a week before/or during my menstrual cycle and it is exasperated by brushing my teeth. My gums feel sensitive, swollen and painful. My jaw and ear canals ache, burn and feel tight/swollen along with my neck stiffness and pain after I brush my teeth.

I recently experienced the symptoms outside of my menstrual cycle and noticed two common foods: one was a draft apple cider alcoholic beverage, the other was cashews. I also experienced hives after eating the cashews.

My face typically turns red around my sinuses and I can feel small areas of swelling around my jaw and cheek bones.

I can tell when my migraine is beginning to subside; I start to get goosebumps, to urinate more frequently and I am able to relax and breathe more deeply and slowly. I have tried super-hydrating or relaxation – thinking that those may help get rid of the migraine faster, but they only help slightly. They don’t actually affect the length or severity of the migraine.

One thing that sometimes helps me is a combination of taking an antihistamine and decongestant, hydrating, warming up my neck muscles with wind mill type exercises and then doing some deep stretching of my arms, back and neck and then deep breathing and relaxation. Unfortunately, if it is a bad migraine, these will not get rid of it. If it is mild and I catch it early, sometimes these will curb the onset.

46. Melody says:

I forgot to add that I avoid MSG in all forms and artificial sweeteners because they have been a trigger.

47. debbie says:

well i suffered migraine all my life but was just a headache and visual aura and cant say it disrupted my life to bad until 17 months ago overnight i experienced the worst headache of my life i thought i was going to die the pain was shear torture in my head,neck,ears i had severe vertigo,vomiting,hearing loss,vision loss,adversion to bright light and sound,constant yawning,urination frequently the alice in wonderland symptoms where things look different in size,loss of balance,nystagmus flicking of the eyes i honestly thought i was going to die id never felt pain like it and i was terrified i was in bed for 4 months with these constant symptoms 24 hours a day and felt nobody would help first i was told i had labs then mienries and after 6 months finally a change in migraine was thought to be my cause.its now 17 months and though eased i still have all the symptoms 24 hours a day every day and no migraine meds have helped at all it has stopped my life in its tracks and being a single mum of 3 kids its been nothing short of hell,i dont have a life to speak of any more i feel like i just exist.its hard to comprehend how your life can be changed over night from happy and healthy to a life of misery.i still live in hope that 1 day as quick as it appeared it will disappear but feel like i have no support from my neurologist at all i stay in scotland and at the moment feel very alone,i dont think theres enought support for people who suffer this horriable and weird migraine and a lack of understanding of how much it affects peoples lives i think we all live in hope that a cure will be found but until that day we can only find help and reassurance with forums like these.

48. Leigh Anne says:

Debbie I totally understand how you feel. I’ve suffered with migraines all my life but not until 3 years ago did they drastically change for the worse. Instead of an occasional migraine, it was daily and brutal torture. I went to sleep one night without them and the next day my head would not and still has not stopped hurting for more than a few hours or maybe a day if I’m lucky. I feel like I’m all alone and the pain is horrible. I have the upmost respect for you being a single mom of 3 and having to deal with your migraines. I have 2 boys and a wonderful husband who helps me. I couldn’t imagine dealing with the pain without him. I’m having these same symptoms that I’ve learned are part of the migraine. Sometimes my heading is impaired to the point where the simplest sound sound like a bomb. That’s before the pounding starts. Then like now my teeth don’t even feel like they belong in my mouth from hurting so bad. My gums feel swollen and the sensitivity is crazy. Lately I’ve even noticed a funky taste before my teeth cut out to pounding. One positive I want to share is my neurologist started Botox injections with me. There’re 29 shots for each treatment session and it takes about a month to month and half before you feel a true difference but it helps tremendously. I’ve had two treatments which only last around 3 months. I had to wait a couple months between treatments due to insurance so it’s like starting over from the beginning. I could tell a huge difference toward the last month if my first treatment. I felt like I had a life back, somewhat. I’m like though, maybe one day they will leave as quick as they came.

49. Niaam F says:

im 19 ive had migranes for as long as i can remeber i couldnt go to school or work it came with earache neckache double vision. ive seen a lot of doctors and they dont know whats going on with me i also feel weak can barley eat cant stand sound or light vomit and i take advil it helps but they come back it hurts so bad i cant get out of bed sometimes. so im glad to know im not alone because my friends and family dont get it they think its just a headache. reading some of the stories helped me a lot thanks guys. and i hope we all get better soon. god bless

50. Dana says:

If I hadn’t regularly experienced most of the symptoms listed here I would think you were all out of your minds! No wonder most of the doctors I’ve consulted subtly communicated tey thought I was out of mine. I appear to have experienced migraine for about 35 yrs since about age 15. I experienced constant pain for 18-1/2 years. Topamax eliminated the chronic pain for over 2 years, but lost effectiveness after reducing the dosage. (Increasing the dosage again then seemed to have no effect.) The constant pain has been back for 3 yrs now. Every few weeks the symptoms go into overdrive for 5-10 days (not menstrual–I’m male) and once or twice a year I seem to experience back-to-back extreme cycles for several weeks. The first doctor I consulted (in AZ in 1989) burst into an angry tantrum before I finished listing the symptoms–including tooth and jaw pain. A neurologist the next year simply called me a hypochondriac. Although I’ve managed to accumulate multiple university degrees, my career has been severely hampered because I have no control over which days or time of day I will feel well enough to perform. Increasingly it seems I can’t perform well enough often enough to survive in a competitive atmosphere. (I drew some negative attention at my last real job after closing my office door & blinds with the lights off into the afternoon every day for a few weeks.) All other facets of my life have dwindled to near nonexistence. I struggle continuously to avoid feeling depressed. I vocally responded to a few entries above–such as “hope you find relief soon”–with profanity. Maybe I am crazy. But I sure appreciate knowing I’m not alone.

51. happyman says:

i also have a very severe headache,earache,stiffneck,eye pain for 1 year..i’ve tried MRI and the result is post infection,but the wierd thing is that my headache and other symptoms are still there..so i try to x ray my teeth and the result is chronic abses and cyst in my 3 upper middle teeth..i’m getting better when the endodontist take care of my teeth,but until now i’m still on endodontist treatment..hope to be totally recover soon..so try to check your teeth,it’s the main problem for me of all these symptoms,Gbu all

52. H Walmsley says:

I have an 8year old daughter who has suffered from constant headache and earache for 7months she has had grommets fitted an MRI scan also seen 2 ENT constultants and a paediatric consultant with no results. We are now being told she may have a form of migaine and he is going to prescibe medication accordingly. We just dont know where to turn next and hope this has some effect. It has effected her socially and phyically having to give up much loved sports, last term she attended school for only 3 days! Its helpful to read we are not alone and others are in the same boat. Any advice would be most grateful. Helen. W

53. Evan says:

I have had a problem similar to what everyone has said here, on and off for the past 8 years. It has happened to me about 15 times, and it always happens about an hour or so after I wake up in the morning. I’ll suddenly begin to feel my upper front teeth going “numb”, and then it’ll get worse and worse until my whole face is experiencing a “dull” kind of pain. Sometimes it lasts for just a half hour, and sometimes for 2-3 hours. One time it made it vomit anytime I tried to move. I read through a bunch of posts, but didn’t see- is there anything people can do to try to prevent it from getting worse, once to symptoms start? Like, once I feel my teeth going numb, can I do something to stop it? I usually just wait it out.

The other interesting thing is that it has only ever happened when I drink alcohol the night before. It obviously doesn’t happen every time I drink, and I have not found any particular alcohol to be the issue. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d love to hear them- thanks and I hope everyone feels better asap!

54. happyman says:

Well,hello again…unfortunately root canal treatment don’t bring me any good, every pain come back again while i’m having RCT…stiffneck, eye pain, headache come back again, even now with grains of sand in the eye EVERY DAY..it hurts so bad that i must be awake every 2-3 times while i’m sleeping…i already have my 3 upper central teeth extracted, and also my immunology doctor said i have sjogren syndrome but i’m not so sure since i don’t have dry mouth..blood test, ANA profile, ANCA profile, infection panel, Anti dsDNA, everything is negative and fine…i already go to 7 doctor eye spesialist even with PhD title but my eyes still hurt, especially the grains of sand in the eye, i don’t know where else to go for this illness…immunology doctor gave me medrol(methylprednisolone) 24mg/day for a week without taper and it only making things worse, no benefit at all…my friend said that it could be the third molar tooth that make me ill, i indeed have a perikoronitis that sometime my gum hurt a little when i eat, but there’s no infection or impaction at all in the panoramic X ray, can anyone know about this and help me out ? Thx a lot

• Have you seen a neurologist who is a headache specialist? Headache pain often happens in the face, eye, and even gums. A headache specialist would be able to give you an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.

55. happyman says:

Hi Kerrie, thx for ur reply…i have been to a neurologist, allergy & immunologist, internist, medical acupuncture, opthalmologist, neuro opthalmologist, psychiatrist, neurosurgeon, vascular surgeon, urolog, dermatology, ENT, even priest…and the doctor/profesor are the best in their field, but their effort to cure me have no result…the main problem is gritty eyes, but this gritty eyes is not a sensation or just a feeling, i’m sure there’s a sand inside my eyelid(not eyeball), but no opthalmologist seem to understand…my eyes is checked very complete and comprehensive, the doctor said i have inflamation scleritis and keratitis, she give me artificial eyedrop, floxa antibiotics and polynel…and after a week, keratitis is healed but not the gritty eyes,5 months i used artificial eyedrop and doesn’t effect at all, not even a bit…The weird thing is all these symptomps have once fully recovered when abscess in my root canal upper middle teeth is cleaned, the doctor said there’s pus in root canal teeth is becaused there’s a pus leaked from the root teeth(my root teeth still having abscess granuloma at that time), the next morning “the sand comes out from my eyelid” and i’m healed 100% but it only last for 1 month(no eye doctor/dentist believes me when i said this, but it’s the truth), then the endodontic process failed to cleaned the abscess/granuloma on the root teeth after 5 months, so i decided to extract the teeth…After the oral surgeon doctor extract my 3 upper middle teeth and clean the granuloma(dry pus), my gritty eyes still haven’t cured…the weird thing is these sand gathered only when i sleep at night and make me awake coz it hurts…another weird thing is in the afternoon there is no gritty eye but my testicles is in pain(feels like the sand move to the testicles through blood vessel), but when the sand gathered in the eyes at night, the testicles pain gone(100% healed), but then the next afternoon the testicles pain come back without gritty eyes…these symptoms all started when my endodontist inject my teeth with ultracal(calcium hidroxide), i don’t know if calcium hidroxide is culprit

56. Alison says:

Hi. I have found that migraines change over your life. Used to get eye pain and hemiplegic migraine – numb arm, tongue, lips, throat and severe nausea. As have got older still get visual aura and some nausea, along with neck and shoulder pain and severe toothache in only one tooth but no eye pain. Also tightness in shoulder and most bizarrely I can’t drink hot drinks for a while after the attack as my throat becomes very over sensitive to heat??? Don’t know what the explanation for that is!

57. Claire Jordan says:

I have suffered from “classic” migraines since 4th grade. The frequency and severity have changed over time. Now that I’m in my 40’s they have become a lot less frequent, perhaps because of hormonal changes, but I have also adjusted my diet significantly – no artificial colors (including caramel color), no preservatives/nitrates, no artificial sweeteners, limit gluten/wheat, and try to eat only whole foods, not processed. This has helped immensely. My symptoms have always been similar… the aura used to start with a lightness in my arm (like it didn’t belong on my body), followed by visual flashing/blindness. Then the sledgehammer headache. Over time, though, my aura has changed somewhat. Now it starts with a severe sharp pin-prick pain in my right parietal lobe (always in the exact same spot), followed by the visual flashing/blindness, and sometimes sneezing and yawning a lot more than usual. During my worst migraines, I have also had the inability to speak or form words in my head, which was terrifying the first time it happened because I couldnt’ tell anyone what was happening to me. After the migraines, I always have very tender shoulders/neck. I can’t remember ever experiencing ear or tooth pain – the sharp pin-prick pain (like someone is sticking an ice pick in my brain) is always in my head during the aura phase.

58. Janet says:

My first migraine was in the 4th grade. I am 36 years old & know all my triggers, & can tell when a migraine is coming on & I’m usually able to stop them. In December things changed. I started getting migraines with vertigo, I also started having silent migraines. I would feel like crap, like a hangover, my eyes swell & droop, I can’t think clearly, it’s an all around crappy feeling, neck & shoulder pain. The silent migraine is always followed by sharp migraine pain behind the eye. I have gone 30 hours feeling normal in the past 3 months. I have seen a neurologist, they put me on nortriptyline, b12, magnesium. I have had an mri & MRA of the brain which was normal. Blood tests were all normal. This past week the pain in my neck was horrible, I thought my head was going to explode from the migraine & ended up going to the er. The dr was great & didn’t through pain killers at me, he had an IV with an NSAID & reglan. Took the pain away like no other drug. I still had the silent migraine, the girl checking me out even said something about how bad I still looked. I noticed now that if I hold my head still against something, the pain goes away. If I’m standing up, moving, climbing stairs the pain in my head is excruciating. If I tilt my head back slightly the pain goes away. I just had an mri of the cervical spine today & I’m praying it shows something. I just want an answer or course of action. I haven’t been able to work & I do not feel as if I am living. Has anybody experienced any of my symptoms or have any ideas?

• Janet,

Low cerebrospinal fluid headaches are typically positional. Here’s a good overview: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/specialty_areas/headache/conditions. If you want to research the positional aspect some more, try Googling positional headache or postural headache. Another name for low CSF headaches is intercranial hypotension, another term that will bring up tons of Google results.

Since this is such a dramatic change from your usual migraines, I recommend seeing a headache specialist to get to the root of the problem. I wish you the best of luck in finding a diagnosis and treatment.

59. vicki says:

I’ve just had my young teenage son at a specialist as our local doctor just couldn’t understand the symptoms. For the last 6-8 months my son has been getting a sore back, headache and stomach ache and then he gets the nausea and usually dry retches or maybe vomits and then the diarrhea starts. All he wants to do is lie down and sleep and with the last attack he had ear ache, the shivers, sweating, skin sensitivity, dizziness and loss of appetite (unusual for him!) All blood tests and other tests normal every time. No temperature and in between attacks he’s 100% okay. He’s not lost any weight and is in all other ways a growing teenage boy. The specialist told us within a minute of being in his rooms that it was most probably migraine. I didn’t even know kids could get abdominal migraines! I’m now reading up on everything and anything about migraines so I know what to expect next time he gets an attack. This web page has been very helpful :-)

• Vicki,

I’m sorry you’re son is going through this — and I’m sorry you have to see him in pain. It’s great that you’re so supportive of him. It will ease his burden more than you can know. I’m glad you got him into a specialist. Did the specialist recommend triptans to abort the migraine attacks? Best of luck in finding an effective treatment.

60. This is all valuable information for those who suffer with Migraine Disease.

61. The “bottom line” on Chronic Migraine Disease, is to fully research both the triggers and the causes – you will find that there are so very many. If you try to live your life avoiding ALL of them, you will have no substantial life at all. Therefore, find the ones that tend to apply to you, and “work around them” if you possibly can. I watched my mother totally “give in” to the migraine disease and it was such a waste really. But she was not as strong-willed as I, who decided that I was going to “live my life” despite it. It has not been easy. You have to fight twice and sometimes three times harder than those who do not have it, just in order to keep up with everyone else, but if you can build up a “pain tolerance level” and be flexible in your lifestyle, it is possible. Granted there will be “days from hell”, but even that too, you can and will come back from. There’s the “pain” attacks and the “no pain” ones. So much variety in types of attacks, as CMD is both neurological and vascular in its source. It hit me at age 12 and I am now 64. It is loyal! It is tiring! It is not well understood! So, after 52 years of its wide and all-encompassing variety of attacks, I have a Newfoundland Service Dog who is my constant companion, along with my 4 cats (3 Tabby-Point Siamese and 1 black Burmese), who are my “therapy clinic”. Animals are the best consolation, comfort, therapy and medicine of all. Take care and stay strong. Either CMD has you………………or YOU have it! Your choice for a stronger and more productive lifestyle. Those who suffer from it, appreciate its possible intensity and its demobilizing attributes. Each day is a blessing. Hope yours is pain-free. Val Frost and BUBBLES.

62. Linda says:

I always read over these migraine sites but never read where anyone has been treated successfully and get rid of migraines. I have all of the symptoms above all day every day. I used to only get get them 3 days every month but fir the past 4 years, the are constant. Has anyone been treated successfully?

• Linda, the vast majority of people with migraine find successful treatment. Here are evidence-based suggestions for which preventive medications to try: http://migraine.com/blog/migraine-preventives-start/. Please see a doctor if you haven’t already, preferably someone knowledgeable in migraine and headache disorders. Chronic migraine is not something to treat on one’s own, especially because over-the-counter medications can make actually make the migraines worse.

63. Sue Hatcher says:

I have had migraines on and off for 48 years. I get the visual aura of sparkling lights and one side of my nose feels very congested. If I can take Maxalt as soon as that starts, it will often abort the headache, and if not, it makes it more bearable. I get extremely nauseated, and if I don’t take my medication quickly enough, begin vomiting constantly to the point that I will lose consciousness – A vasovagal reaction. My doctor has prescribed Phenergan suppositories to take if the nausea/vomiting begin to try to avoid passing out. I have had teeth pain frequently, and hadn’t connected it to migraine until I read these posts – I also have Ehlers-Danlos, so I am hyper flexible, and thought that was the problem, but two days ago, my teeth were hurting, and yesterday the migraine hit. I find that a heating pad on my neck, shoulders and the back of my head seems to help, and one of the strangest things is if I take Maxalt with a Dr. Pepper, the pain eases so much faster. Dr. Pepper seems to be the only soft drink that has that affect – Just what the Dr. ordered, as they say! Hope these hints will help someone else!

64. Season says:

Well I have had migraines since I was a teenager. They have gone from the regular pain above the eye, to also sometimes include the weird vision and numbness. Some times they happen separately, sometimes all with the same headache over a weeks time. But my weirdest symptoms, has happened in three different migraine or what I am assuming is a migraine, I have had the head ache pain in my shoulder once, my left thigh, and here this week, I swear in my left ovary area. I know, sounds too weird, but I had these really bad pains, just like a headache in these areas, at separate times, along with not being able to function that day, being exhausted, no OTC pain med would make pain stop, and then the next day, that pain would disappear and I would get the pain in my head where it is supposed to be. I tend to hurt in different places for other stuff, so my husband always says I am wired wrong. Oh, but I have teeth problems on this same side, that after root canals, fillings, caps, still have pain in those teeth. Had no idea until reading this site, it could be related.

• Season, if the numbness is a new symptom, please see a doctor to get an accurate diagnosis. Migraines can cause pain in the stomach and neck and some people have body aches, but the pain you describe is highly unusual. It could be migraine, I just don’t know. A doctor can help you get the right diagnosis and most effective medications. Best of luck in finding relief.

65. Chandra says:

Hello,

I saw this post in Google. I have extreme ear pain like Swimmer’s Ear…yet whenever a doctor looks in my ear, they say its “fine or ok.” If extremely frustrating because I’m NOT making my pain up. I say I can predict weather change better than our local meteorologist, lol…only because I sense barometric pressure in my head & ears. I truly sucks!!! I’d rather be as everyone else & not be affected by weather. I’ve also experienced the sharp pains in my teeth. Although I’ve only had one root canal…the pain I feel is very very similar. When I see my dentist, he tells me my teeth are normal & ok. Then why do I have the teeth pain or severe ear pain??? I’m so glad to know others have shared the same symptoms. Seriously…personally I started to feel crazy like no one would listen or believe me. I just switched to different meds AGAIN. My frequency & severity has stopped BUT, when its bad weather or other triggers… I still have the extreme ear pain or tooth sensitivity. Pretty much migraine suffers are screwed either way. Either you suffer from full blown migraines or prevent he migraines & the crazy onset symptoms stop you in your tracks!!! Idk what I’d rather deal with. I’m just tired of people thinking what I feel is not real or when told I’m fine…its in my head. Well, no duh!!! Thank you for sharing. I appreciate it because I can relate…unfortunately

• Chandra, I’m so sorry you can relate! If you haven’t talked to the doctor who treats your migraines about this pain, please mention it. The treatment is typically to reduce the migraine frequency, which you’ve clearly done, but there might be some other options for you.

66. Julie says:

I suffer from migraines also so I went in for an mri which determined I have chiari 1 malformation also so get checked some people have it and don’t even know

67. Elizabeth says:

I am so glad I found this thread. I’ve been having migraines ever since I was a teenager. Back then I used to think it was food poisoning or some kind of 24 hour bug, but I kept getting them. I finally went to the doctor & was diagnosed in my 20s with classic migraine. When they attack, I mostly wake up with them & I have pain in my left eye, behind my eye, the left teeth, left part of face & the left side feels droopy. I’ll get very nauseas & will vomit anything I eat. I get dizzy (almost vertigo like) & walking or physical activity makes it worse. Just a few months ago I started getting other symptoms (left ear pain & pain in the back of my neck on the left side). I read that new symptoms can occur if you’ve had migraines long enough. Now I am getting these new symptoms with every one of my migraines. It really makes me scared of what other symptoms I’ll get if I can’t get rid of them.

• Elizabeth, if you haven’t seen your doctor since your symptoms changed, please do. It’s always good to check in with a change and see if other treatment options would be more effective for you. Migraines do tend to change over time, but this happens no matter how frequently a person has migraine attacks. Also, it’s not necessarily that new symptoms get added on top of all your other symptoms, but that some of your old symptoms could go away. I hope that’s some reassurance for you.