Working on an Migraine.com article about all the migraine symptoms that most people have no idea are related to migraine reminded me of the list of symptoms I made for my internist in 2008. The list of all the weird things happening in my body that seemed to have no explanation was more than a page long. My doctor had no idea what they could point to. Now I know that, except for cold sores, they were all migraine symptoms.
I’m a little uncomfortable sharing such a private list, but I think it’s important to show some of the possible varied and strange migraine symptoms, as well as how severe migraine can be. Most of them are direct migraine symptoms, but some were a result of migraine symptoms (like tingling arms, which was part of a cascade of physical reactions due to constant neck pain that ultimately resulted in pinched nerves). Certain symptoms were so normal that I didn’t even think to include them on the list, like tooth sensitivity, earaches, eye irritation, or neck pain. Others were such common migraine symptoms that I didn’t mention them. Still others I was embarrassed to reveal, like hallucinating sounds.
It’s odd to think that we can be in our bodies and still not be able to figure out what’s going on or dismiss the signals that something’s not working right. But we do it all the time. I have lived with chronic migraine for the vast majority of my life and have been writing about it for nearly 10 years. Still, it’s only been in the last year that I’ve been able to connect the last of these weird symptoms to migraine.
This list doesn’t represent all of my symptoms or even the worst I experienced, but they came shortly after the turning point when my illness went from bad to terrible, in June 2007. My symptoms continued to worsen for another 2.5 years. I lived it and still have trouble believing how incredibly sick I was. It’s no wonder people without migraine have no idea how severe this illness can be.
Symptom Summary for Kerrie Smyres, 4/7/08
- Current biggest concern
- Increases over first hour each day
- Food usually decreases for 1-2 hours
Feeling faint, lightheaded, blacking out (also chronic)
- Worsened by standing up, exercise
- Blackouts (either last less than 30 seconds or until I wake up)
- Usually mild; moderate
- Diagnosed with Meneire’s without hearing loss, 2000
Sensitivity to exertion/exercise
- Walking a half mile = feeling faint, lightheaded, exhausted
- Gentle yoga triggers pounding headache
- Bones feel heavy and tired
- Nap 3 hours/day at least 5 days/week (from 2 hours a year ago)
- Become unreasonable, irritable, exhausted
- Get lightheaded, woozy
- Often no obvious trigger; sometimes triggered by hunger, bright lights, crowds
- 15 lb. weight loss since June 2007
- Night sweats, chills, shivering
- Hands, arms tingle 3-5x/night
- Can’t get workspace bright enough when lighting was once fine (in kitchen, at desk)
- Whooshing in ears, like blood pulsing; worse during migraine
- Vision bounces/pulses always; worse during migraine
- Sudden decreased hearing & ringing in left ear; my voice echoes
- Canker sores, cold sores
- Heat intolerance
- Hand tremor
- Nasal congestion
- Constant thirst, drink 100-150 oz water/day