Do insurance companies offer Aimovig insurance coverage?

Depending on the insurance company, Aimovig insurance coverage could already be available! Some readers have reported success with getting insurance coverage already.

My insurance company told me Aimovig came out too late to be included on their current formulary, which is updated twice a year. I was told they’ll make a determination for the January 2019 or July 2019 formulary. As a fellow advocate pointed out, if this were a cancer drug, insurance companies would be unlikely to tell patients they have to wait six months to a year to learn if it will be covered. If I decide to continue with Aimovig after the free trial, I will actively pursue coverage, which will certainly involve letters from my doctor and insurance appeals. I’ll let you know how it goes.

If it’s not available yet, will Aimovig insurance coverage eventually be available?

The likelihood that insurance companies will cover Aimovig and other CGRP-inhibitors is promising. ICER, the organization that insurance companies look to for guidance, issued a report on May 31, 2018 that CGRP-inhibitors are a cost-effective treatment for both episodic migraine and chronic migraine. The migraine advocacy community was pleasantly surprised by this news and is hopeful that it bodes well for coverage. ICER has yet to make its final determination and insurance companies are free to make their own decisions no matter what ICER determines, but we’re in better shape than expected at this point.

The bottom line? Check with your insurance provider now to see what their policy is and, if they aren’t covering it yet, when they plan to make a decision. (And know it’s worth going through the appeals process even if they say they don’t cover it yet. If nothing else, if you have commercial insurance, that will make you eligible for Amgen’s Bridge to Commercial coverage program.)

Will Medicare and Medicaid cover Aimovig?

Probably yes, eventually. I know that’s a lot of equivocation! Medicare and Medicaid are usually slower to adopt medication coverage than commercial insurance companies are. The ICER report could work in our favor though, especially if it’s considered more cost-effective than Botox, which Medicare and Medicaid do cover.

Patience and Optimism

Advising people to be patient is tough—we’ve already waited so long for the first CGRP drug to become available. Though I do think coverage will come sooner than we might expect. I can’t overstate how important it is that ICER’s report determined that CGRP-inhibitors are cost-effective for people with chronic migraine and those with episodic migraine. Combined with Amgen’s two-month free trial and Bridge to Commercial Coverage program I wrote about yesterday, people with commercial insurance have a promising outlook.

Unfortunately, I know many of you have state or federal insurance, which doesn’t benefit from these programs. The disparities in access to medical treatments makes me sick. If you have Medicare Part D, you may be available for coverage through the Amgen Safety Net Foundation

How about you? Do you have Aimovig insurance coverage? Please leave a comment and let us know what your experience has been like?

16 Responses to Aimovig Insurance Coverage: Will Insurance Cover Amgen’s New Migraine Prevention Drug?

1. Kathleen says:

I get daily migraines. I am 79 and have had a stroke. Is this a drug I can take?

2. Timothy Bauer says:

Thanks for all the info Kerrie!!!

Timothy Bauer
    Reno, Nevada

3. Debbie Bryant says:

Do you know if Arkansas medicaid patients will be covered for aimovig treatment?

4. Melissa Hope says:

I’m a 36 year old mother of 3, I’ve had Pseudotumor Cerebri for 10 years. I am a shunt dependent patient.(currently I have both a VP shunt and my 2nd LP shunt. 4 surgeries, 11 spinal taps) Doctors think that I also have migraine and one disorder triggers the other. I’ve been on Topamax, Diamox, Nortriptyline, Gabapentin, Metoprolol, and Effexor XR.
    Current rescue meds include Fioricet, Imatrex, and Migrainal nasal spray.
    Aimovig sounds like it would be a life saver. However, Fidelis/Medicaid won’t cover it at this time. I would love to be in a trial for the med, I am a pretty interesting medical case.

5. Theresa Tripp says:

I have any where from 6+ migraines monthly my insurance doesn’t cover this, I have tried everything just need relief

6. Michele Williams says:

Kathleen – I too get daily migraines & presently take Relpax (over $1000. monthly) thanks to good pension). I taught high school Eng. & did 3 shows a year on stronger meds. that were less & less good for me. AIMOVIG is the end of the line as I need to help a vibrant 99 year old mom and help with babysitting & am tired of over 45 years headaches. My neurologist may be able to override some cost – 2019 should improve. Kerrie, thanks for your help – my mother thanks you, my in heaven father thanks you, my husband thanks you, AND I THANK YOU.
    Peace

7. Omar Cavazos says:

I just checked with my local pharmacy (Walmart) and they don’t carry it. (Louisiana). Tho, even if they did, There’s no way I can cough up the $620 with my Social Security Disability monthly allotment. I’m desperate for relief. Migraines daily and I take Imitrex injections, Maxalt, Fiorecet, Hydrocodone and Botox every 3 months. I don’t go anywhere because I’m confined between my walls. My quality of life is practically gone and I’m not quite 60 yet.

8. Donna L Price says:

Aimovig I was qualified for the medicine the pharmacist had called I didn’t get that I didn’t pick up the call in time and I had called back to tell him to leave the medicine on a Friday that’s been 3 weeks ago I have still not heard nothing back from the company or the pharmacist just kind of wondering when my medicine was going to be delivered because I had done went through the patient program for the free trials my name is Donna price

9. Cindy says:

Will Tricare for life ever cover Aimovig?

10. Corrine says:

So my doctor signed me up for the free trial as soon as the program started, since it would allow me to get the Aimovig a month before Kaiser pharmacies had it. Well Amgen approved me right away and the medication was supposed to arrive two weeks later. When it did not arrive my doctor contacted the company who said they had received far more applicants than expected and the medication should arrive in four weeks rather than two weeks. Well that was over two months ago and I never did receive the free trial.
    I have Kaiser and THREE times now I have been written a prescription, then as the medicine is being shipped to my local Kaiser pharmacy, Kaiser suddenly changed its requirements and said I was no longer eligible to receive the medication. It was one thing after another–blood tests and pregnancy tests, questionnaires, migraine diaries, and a whole list of other eligibility requirements that morphed and grew from one day to the next. I’ve now been told with finality that I do not qualify and that the migraine specialist is being told she can no longer even see me since I live out of the area. Absolutely ridiculous!!! I don’t know what to do!!!
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

11. Marie W. says:

I’m on the free trial, but would love to know if tricare for life will cover the drug..it is wonderful and went from 6+ migraines a month to 1 or 2 the first month after the injection.

• Hi Marie, you’ll need to contact your insurance company to see. If they don’t, call the Aimovig Ally program–they have a bridge to commercial coverage, which will cover up to 12 months of the medication while you’re trying to get coverage. They may also have strategies for an insurance appeal.

12. D Zusman says:

Carefist Federal – our insurer (covers government employees) – is not covering Aimovig.