American Headache & Migraine Association: New Patient Organization
The American Headache & Migraine Association (AHMA), a new patient-centered organization for people with headache disorders, is now accepting members! Although the organization is in the early stages, it is already providing great opportunities for patients, including a free, daylong patient-focused conference in this November. The conference will feature presentations by some of the top physicians in headache medicine.
Here’s an overview from AHMA (I’ve done a little rearranging and highlighting):
Our goal in establishing AHMA is to: EASE the burden of migraine and other headache disorders, such as cluster and tension type headache and trigeminal and occipital neuralgia, through Education, Awareness, Support and Engagement.
It’s important to everyone involved in AHMA leadership for our members to help direct the course of AHMA programming. By joining AHMA this early, you can have a strong influence on the direction of our efforts and ensure they help meet your needs and desires and those of the other members.
Right now the most significant programs/events we have in place are:
- A members-only support and information forum. It can only be accessed by joining AHMA. New members are sent the link and the password to access it upon joining.
- A free, members-only patient conference, which will be held on Sunday, November 24, 2013, in Scottsdale, Arizona (a suburb of Phoenix). We’re still hard at work planning the conference and finalizing details, but some of the most brilliant physician experts in the AHS have already volunteered to present on topics of special importance to Headache Disorders patients and their loved ones. We’re working hard to make the event as affordable as possible.
- AHMA has already started engaging in social media, so please like and follow us if you haven’t already:
Membership dues are reasonable. The membership types and respective dues are as follows. (Note: An effort to establish and set dues for a Lifetime Family Membership category is currently in the works.):
- $15 per year: Standard Membership
- $250: Lifetime Membership
- $0: Active Duty Military and Immediate Family; Disabled Veterans and Immediate Family
- $25: Family Membership for two or more members in the same family at the same address
Please visit EaseHeadacheMigraine.com to join AHMA.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chair: Teri Robert; Co-Chair: Dr. Paul Winner
- Chair Elect: Ellen Schnakenberg; Co-Chair Elect: Dr. Bert Vargas
- Vice Chair: Bob Wold; Co-Vice Chair: Dr. Rob Nicholson
- Treasurer: Julie Zellner McDonald; Co-Treasurer: Dr. Rebecca Wells
- Secretary: Diana Lee; Co-Secretary: Dr. Rob Cowan
For more information about AHMA and to join, please visit EaseHeadacheMigraine.com.