Poll: Wheat/Gluten-Free for Headaches

If you haven’t read the excellent comments on Wheat/Gluten- and Dairy-Free for Migraine & Headache, please do. Responses are mixed. Not a shocker.

What about you? Have you tried a wheat- or gluten-free diet? Was it useful?

8 Responses to Poll: Wheat/Gluten-Free for Headaches

1. Candy says:

I’m at about week 6 of a gluten free diet but don’t expect to really know for sure if there has been any long term benefit in terms of migraine prevention short of 6 mos. I’m working with a nutritionist, have been tested as gluten sensitive through a stool culture which is kind of a new test. We’ll see.

2. Kerrie says:

Great idea to work with a nutritionist. Interesting about the stool culture. I hadn’t heard of that before.

I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

3. Tracy says:

I tested for wheat sensitivity a year ago and have been off wheat ever since. I have not had a single migraine since that time. Though being on a wheat-free diet is challenging, it is worth it to not have to live with migraines, hives, facial flushing, and upset stomach. I have energy now and feel great! One side-note is that I have lost 20 pounds on a wheat-free diet. I now weigh 102 pounds, which is a bit too small, but for the person who wouldn’t mind a side benefit of weight-loss, a wheat-free diet will certainly aid in that area.

4. Kristen says:

How long does it take before you know if going gluten free works for headaches. I suffer from headaches everyday and was diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I have been on the diet for 3 months, but have seen no change – does this mean it won’t work or do I need to stay on it longer to see any difference?

5. Yvonne says:

Well I can tell you that for me, a sufferer of migraines since the age of 3 years old and hospitalized several times without resolution, eating wheat is like a ticking bomb for me. Depending on how much I eat I will get a migraine EVERY time. Like clockwork. However if I don’t eat it I NEVER have migraines.

6. Kristen says:

Yvonne, thanks for responding to my question. Were your headaches an every day chronic pain and then went away after discontinuing gluten? The diet hasn’t helped me yet, but I wondered if it took a long time before I would see any difference?

7. chloe says:

I was diagnosed with cluster headaches and have yet to cut out wheat/gluten from my diet.

Funny, because the only thing that made me think I MIGHT have a wheat allergy was my immediate onset of a headache after drinking beer. It never even occurred to me that wheat might be the problem when I WASN’T drinking beer!

Keeping my fingers crossed – PRAYING for success, as this pain is unmanageable.

8. Pretty Girls Gallery says:

I have gluten allergy since childhood. I am always on a Gluten Free diet and i use guar gum in some of may baked foods.